The Information Systems Security Association (ISSA)® is a not-for-profit 501(c)(6), international organization of information security professionals and practitioners. It provides educational forums, publications and peer interaction opportunities that enhance the knowledge, skill and professional growth of its members.
Our Chapter’s Mission: The mission of the NY Metro Chapter of ISSA (NYMISSA) is to provide our membership with opportunities for professional development in information security. We offer education, networking, mentoring and community outreach.
NYMISSA offers programs for enhancing our members’ knowledge, skills and abilities. We provide an environment in which peers can meet to exchange information about business issues, methods, tools and practices in information security. We provide local mentoring of information security students and professionals. We offer expertise to the public in support of the secure and ethical use of information systems.
Our Chapter’s Value Proposition: NYMISSA is the only organization of its kind. We are one of the largest and most experienced organizations dedicated to the information security profession.
Practitioners are often charged with managing risk across multiple domains and as such need to understand multiple facets of risk.
Unlike other organizations which target specific subject matter, the NYMISSA reaches across multiple domains of expertise to give our members a breadth of information security knowledge not found elsewhere amongst our local NYC professional organizations. Domains include but are not limited to:
- Business continuity
With active participation from individuals and chapters all over the world, the ISSA is the largest international, not-for-profit association specifically for security professionals. Members include practitioners at all levels of the security field in a broad range of industries, such as communications, education, healthcare, manufacturing, financial and government. The ISSA international board consists of some of the most influential people in the security industry, with representatives from Dell Computer Corporation, EDS, Forrester Research Inc., Symantec and Washington Mutual. With an international communications network developed throughout the industry, the ISSA is focused on maintaining its position as The Global Voice of Information Security.
The primary goal of the ISSA is to promote management practices that will ensure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of information resources. The ISSA facilitates interaction and education to create a more successful environment for global information systems security and for the professionals involved.
The following list includes some of the important ways that ISSA members work toward achieving the Association’s goals:
- Organize international conferences, local chapter meetings and seminars that offer educational programs, training and valuable networking opportunities.
- Provide access to information through the ISSA website as well as an online newsletter and monthly journal.
- Offer support for professional certification and development opportunities for security practitioners.
- Create opportunities for members to join committees and boards, which provide significant leadership for the security industry.
- Facilitate discussion and feedback on key issues, such as the National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace, in order to create a unified voice for security professionals around the world that can influence public opinion, government regulations, the media and other important audiences.